Malkavian Madness Network
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
SMF - Just Installed!
Forum Stats
7744 Posts in 94 Topics by 25 Members
Latest Member: fonoli
Home Help Search Login Register
Malkavian Madness Network  |  Other Systems  |  Digimon: Digital Adventures (Moderator: MrParaduo)  |  Digimon Story: Rainbow Traverse -- Chp 14
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: Digimon Story: Rainbow Traverse -- Chp 14  (Read 2942 times)
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

The Forum broke before the Gamers!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2023, 06:52:54 PM »

"Mauna Kuhikuhi. Directory Mountain. Throne of Earth and Fire. Highest peak in all Waihona. Since the island first 'rose from the Net Ocean, the shield volcano has stood in silent vigil over all who live in its shadow. Lava flows make toxic the very air the higher one climbs; and her eastern cliffs ever run black, red, and gold..."

In the light of the late afternoon, Alemana stared at nature's towering monument. Even with the wind blowing from the west, he could still make out the sour stench of Sulphur, deadened though it was by earthen tones of dry dirt and dust. Menehunemon stood beside the tamer, his expression concealed as ever by bushy beard and unkempt hair. Yet what both of them stood on was what drew the rest of the group's attention. Built into a cliffside overlooking a rocky lava dome and crater, the Gateway heiau was perhaps the largest of its kind any of the tamers and their digimon had seen. The structure of what buildings were visible looked more at home in South America's Machu Picchu than anywhere in Hawaii: a veritable citadel of rough stone that formed parallel terraces between large, narrow bunkers. At the center of it all, however, was a ziggurat, surrounded by a garden of grass, trees and medicinal herbs, the scant greenery that was to be found for miles.

"See the pinnacle?" asked kuku, pointing to the ziggurat with his ko'i. "That's where the Gate to the human world will open up, assuming no one's dumb enough to blow up the heiau while we're in here."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 07:01:24 PM by MrParaduo » Logged
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 10:13:46 PM »

To say he was in awe of the mountain was an understatement: Alemana seemed to stare at the monolithic peak with a sense of reverence that he hadn’t exhibited before. It was a sight that he honestly could say he never really beheld, so he would stare at the mountain in silent admiration for several minutes before speaking.

“And you say this is where Varamon calls his turf?”
Just your average Teller of Stories.
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 10:34:21 PM »

The dwarf nodded. "The Mo'omon hold Kuhikuhi as the heart of all Waihona's rivers, and when it rains, the mountain's lava-tubes become flooded, whether from lava, water or boiling hot steam. Such raw, natural power is considered sacred to the Mo'omon tribe, and to see the elements war with each other is nothing short of holy awe." Menehunemon the lowered his gaze, stroking his beard as he grumbled. "Once, long before Varamon's tenure as chieftain, the lizards interpreted the clashing of elements not as a war for glory, but as a natural cycle; that in order for creation of new life to take root, destruction must do away with that which has stagnated. Much like how the barren mountainside turns to fertile soil after a volcanic eruption."

"Now it's their tribe that's grown stagnant," said Renamon, the vulpine appearing out of thin air beside Al. "When you follow a leader who has no equal, you see no reason to better yourself, especially when Varamon's reputation does all the work for you."

"Hmph, very astute, alopeke. But don't let that fool you. The Mo'omon are zealots, and see their chief as second only to the Akua. Unless Varamon goes down or tells them otherwise, they won't give up. Especially once he's on site."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:08:29 PM by MrParaduo » Logged
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 02:55:35 PM »

“Then let’s not let the lie of him being close to the gods continue. We already proved that he’s nowhere close to Kumon’s level.. now we are going to show that he’s not immortal either.” Al said, glancing at Renamon, Kuku.. and back to all his friends. “He has to pay for what he’s done to the kids who came here before us.. and make sure it doesn’t happen to the kids who come here after us.” And his eyes landed on Wormon. “And we can’t ignore what he and his tribe have put all the Digimon on this island through either…”

(“I think we should let Wormy know that we know who he is, before we do this big fight.”) he silently mused to Renamon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 02:57:27 PM by Korogra » Logged
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 05:22:26 PM »

("Agreed,") thought the vulpine. ("We can't afford to risk sabotage once we come under siege.")
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 07:49:26 PM »

(“Keep an eye on Ike.. we don’t want him to accidentally punt Wormon.”)

He would then take a breath. “But before we do this.. Wormon. I have a question that I’ve been meaning to ask.. but it didn’t seem like the right time. Wormy be honest.. you’re Stingmon aren’t you?”
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 01:51:51 AM »

If there was any back-chatter while Al was speaking, it all went silent as everyone glanced between the tamer and the caterpillar.

"K-Kali--what?!" stammered Kukuimon.

"Since we first met," said Renamon. "Back in the swamp, we've been watching you, but kept quiet until we were certain of our suspicions."

Gazimon stepped forward. "You mean to tell me we've been walkin' around with a bonafide assassin this whole time--"

"--and didn't think it was worth mentioning till NOW?!! finished Ike.

"I'M SHOUTING TOO!!" yelled Eyesmon.

Menehunemon slammed the butt of his ko'i on the stone tiled ground. "Everyone pipe down!" he said. "Loud noises travel far and fast up here!" The dwarf cleared his throat. "It's true that Stingmon is the Champion level form of Wormmon, and while she might be a pain in my hoki, Renamon's no amateur when it comes to detective work. Wormmon, what do you say to the charges?"

All eyes were on the caterpillar now, his expression a cipher as he scanned the group. Somewhere in the distance, the wind moaned a solemn note.

"...And if I am?" he asked, voice level and clear. "What exactly do you intend to do?"
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 02:07:04 AM »

Alemana would wince at the shouting and would hold up his hands

“Kuku is right, we shouldn’t be yelling ..” he said quietly as he knelt in front of Wormon, though he addressed the whole group. “I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want anyone to do anything rash and possibly hurt each other. And the reason I ask .. because I want to know why you helped me… you could’ve left me to die.. but you didn’t- you helped me. And I want to think that it you did it with truly good intentions. But I need to know the truth. I don’t want to hurt you again- never again..”

His voice wavered at the end.. he seemed truly conflicted- hurt even.
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 02:50:14 AM »

The caterpillar regarded the boy, only to turn to one side as he looked away. "Then you thought wrong, Alemana."

Just then, Wormmon turned solid white, vanishing behind coruscating rings of data. Gasps from the group were near drowned out by the familiar noise of digivolution--with everyone's digimon partners moving to shield them.

"Wormmon, digivolve to----STINGMON."

So was the insectoid assassin born anew, staring down at Alemana and Renamon. Yet even as he loomed over everyone, he did not move an inch.

"I hate humans," he said. "Since the ruination of my home island, I have sworn in Kumon's name to eradicate their presence within the Digital World." Renamon's eyes narrowed as Stingmon raised gauntleted hand to the scar of his chest, tracing the groove from one side of his torso to the other. "I have killed human and digimon alike in my quest, and know full well what I am for it. That you spared my life, even after my efforts to claim your own, cannot quiet the screams of my comrades as they burned all around me."

"Then why the hesitation?" asked Menehunemon. Of all the people there, he rivaled Stingmon's calm veneer. "Come on, keiki, if you've got the guts to digivolve after all this time, have the dignity to be honest with yourself."

"...I needed to see it with my own eyes," said the assassin. Alemana couldn't say how, but he knew the insect was now staring at him, and him alone. "Never have I seen a human, let alone a child, wield the power of Kumon and live. That the Akua's Ki'i lay trapped within a digivice, I could not afford to let you die until you brought it back out. Yet again and again, new information came to my attention, and so my objectives changed and adapted."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 04:16:12 PM by MrParaduo » Logged
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 03:13:47 AM »

The fact that he could Digivolve at will shocked him.. but he held his hand in front of Renamon to keep her from leaping in his defense.

“I can’t change the past.. I can’t undo what was done to you and your friends.. but I am truly sorry. And I have never stopped regretting what we did to you too. But the fact that you did survive, it made me glad.. because I wanted to try to reconcile.”
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 03:15:34 AM »

[Hmm... roll Persuade.]
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 03:18:30 AM »

[Rolling: 4 1 4+ 6=15 ]
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »

"Death is not so easily reconciled," said Stingmon, though his words fell softer than before. "Be that as it may... you have shown courage, more than most digimon were they placed in the same scenario as you and yours. I will accept that it was the will of the 'Akua, and not mere chance or treachery, that you carry all four of Waihona's Ki'i." Turning, the assassin walked past the others towards a stone wall overlooking the barrens below. He only looked back after putting one foot atop the edifice. "This battle is yours to face. I shall not interfere."
Korogra

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 04:29:33 PM »

Alemana looked down, but he nodded  “I understand. But I just want to say this,” he then looked up at him, a sad smile on his face. “I hope that one day, we can truly be friends.”
MrParaduo
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »

Stingmon held the boy's gaze, his antennae shifting, swaying in the wind. With no more words to say, the assassin took flight, vanishing in a mirage-like haze moments after.

"He's gone," said Eyesmon, her namesake scrutinizing every direction. "I can't see him anymore..."

"Is it really okay to just let him go?" asked Ike. "He could be lying about everything he just said."

"I don't think we could've kept him tied up even if we wanted to," reasoned Vivi.

"And killing him would have just proven him right about digimon tamers," said Renamon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea